Rotary encoders, or shaft encoders as they are often referred to as, are a popular engineering choice when it comes to location, speed and distance monitoring of an axle or a shaft that is located within a mechanical system. Typical encoder applications include industrial control systems, robotic production lines and conveyors, cranes, radar systems and more. Typically, Rotary Encoders come in two particular variants, these being absolute and incremental, absolute encoders provide details of a shaft’s current location, incremental encoders monitor the angular motion or the position of a shaft.
Electro-mechanical in nature, angular position and motion data from the monitored shaft is detected and converted into an analogue or digital signal for interpretation by other aspects of the installations control system to gauge speed, location, distance and act upon that information.
When it comes to motion, speed and distance monitoring in demanding conditions such as those found at sea, you will need a Rotary Encoder that has been specifically designed to resist and ignore the harsh and demanding environmental it is destined to function in.
Survival at Sea
Baumer are world renowned for their technically advanced Rotary Encoders and their POG 83 range is no exception having been designed specifically for harsh marine and offshore environments. These hardwearing Incremental Rotary Encoders are the go-to device for navigating your way around the extremely harsh perils of a working life at sea.
The POG 83 variants shown below are Incremental Rotary Encoders, with optical sensing and have been specifically designed to resist the adverse conditions found on deck all thanks the materials used and the impressively robust construction which ensures they remains environmentally sealed throughout their entire lifetime. Capable and durable, these rotary encoders pass IP tests not only when new or following DNV-GL tests, but even after via additional stress tests that simulate the aging effects of the sea.
Whatever you can throw at them these Incremental Rotary Encoders are suitable for a wide range of applications including – on-board cranes, floating cranes, on-deck motors, winches and many more.
POG 83 Series of Offshore and Marine Incremental Rotary Encoder Benefits
- High resistance to demanding sea conditions
- High corrosion resistance to adverse deck conditions
- No corrosion with salt spray or salt surface drying due to the high-quality stainless-steel housing
- Liquid tight during temporary water overflow or high-pressure cleaning
- Resistant to shocks and vibrations caused by waves or docking manoeuvres
- Robust housing and high-quality ball bearings
- Maximum machine availability
- Long-term sealed design prevents the entry of water and vapour
- Longer service life proven by upstream stress tests and IP tests
- Minimised service costs, less frequent servicing
- Variations with DNV-GL approval for simplified ship approval
- Ready for the roughest conditions on deck
POG 83 and POG 83 DNV-GL Incremental Rotary Encoders
POG 83, POG 83 DNV-GL Shaft Encoder Common Features
- Specially designed for deck machinery and cranes in offshore and marine environments
- Stainless steel construction with optical sensing
- Solid shaft ø11 mm with EURO flange B10 (ø115mm)
- Robust bearings for extended service life
- M23 flange box and circular plug-in connector in stainless steel
- Protection class IP 66, IP 67, and IP 69K, offshore and saltwater firm
- Pulse per revolution 512 – 4096
- Phase shift 90 ° ±10°
POG 83 Additional Features
- Tested long-term sealing with an expanded test series beyond DNV-GL
- Voltage supply 4.75 – 30 Vdc
- Approvals CE, UL/E217823
POG 83 DNV-GL Additional Features
- Tested long-term sealing with stress tests
- DNV-GL tested for quick ship approval
- Voltage supply 7 – 24 Vdc
- Approvals CE, UL/E217823, DNV GL
You can rely on Kempston Controls to help you find the perfect Marine and Offshore Rotary Shaft Encoders specific to your application. With access to the entire Baumer catalogue of products you need not go anywhere else. Call us today on (0) 1933 411 411 or email us at email@example.com, or contact us using this form to discuss your requirements.
Have you seen these articles?
Kempston Controls is committed to finding you the ideal solution for your application. Call us today on +44 (0) 1933 411 411, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or alternatively contact us here, we will be happy to help.